Kaltura - Managing media in Canvas LMS
My Media stores all your videos in Canvas and is only available to you. These files can then be shared with members of a subject through adding files to the Media Gallery or embedding in Canvas pages.
The Media Gallery is for your whole subject. You can use this to manage the video content in your subject, and work with other staff to build content together. Anyone in your subject can look at the videos in Kaltura Media Gallery.
Adding a video to My Media
- To access My Media, go into any subject and click My Media in the Subject Navigation menu.
- Click the Add New button. You will have four options to choose from: Media Upload, Webcam Recording, Kaltura Capture, and Video Quiz.
- Select the file to upload. Make sure you save before you click away so that you don’t lose any information.
- To go to the video, click Go To Media. To go back to your My Media page, click Go To My Media.
- You will need to have a webcam and microphone for this option.
- Record the video. You will have the opportunity to review it and download the original file before uploading.
- If you do not have Kaltura Capture installed, you will be prompted to download it.
- For further instructions on how to use this tool, visit the Kaltura website.
Adding a video from My Media to Kaltura Media Gallery
- To access the Kaltura Media Gallery for your subject, click Media Gallery in the Subject Navigation menu.
- Click + Add Media button. This will display all the videos you currently have in your My Media page.
- Click the checkbox for all the videos you would like to add.
- Click Publish.
Uploading a video to Kaltura Media Gallery
- Go to the Kaltura Media Gallery for your subject
- Click + Add Media button.
- Click the Add New button. Choose Media Upload to upload a video from your computer.
- Select the file to upload. Make sure to save before you click away so that you don’t lose any information.
Filtering videos in Kaltura Media Gallery
Clicking the Filters button will let you filter your videos by Media Type, Ownership status, and Captions.
Removing a video from Kaltura Media Gallery
- If you want to make changes to your video after it is published, you will have to remove it from the subject galleries it has been published in, and any pages where it has been embedded. If you access your video through My Media, it will show you this information.
- To remove a video from Kaltura Media Gallery, you will have to delete it. This only removes the video from the Kaltura Media Gallery, and if the video was added from My Media a copy will remain there.
- Hover your cursor over the video you’d like to remove and click on the three dots.
- Click the delete button that appears in the bottom left corner.
- A prompt will ask you whether you want to remove this from the media gallery. Click Remove.
This guide was last updated 24 Feb 2020.
Please report any errors or omissions in this guide by submitting an LMS support request.