LMS Subject Creation and Subject Copy Forward process
How is a subject created in the LMS? Are Subject Coordinators automatically added to new LMS subjects?
Once a subject is marked as ‘active’ in StudentOne, it is created in the LMS via the automated integration within 3 hours as a standard subject shell with no content. This process applies to all new subjects.
It is important that Subject Coordinators details are entered in StudentOne so that they are automatically added to relevant LMS subjects at the time of creation.
Subject Coordinators and Faculty Representatives are able to add other staff members to a subject via the Staff Roles tool. A note for Faculty Representatives: any Subject Coordinator changes in subjects that must be made in StudentOne which will automatically be reflected in the LMS within 3 hours.
Additional considerations when copying forward content
- It is not recommended to copy Assignments over. It is recommended to recreate Assignments in the new subject instead.
- Some legacy settings (including Gradebook, Sections and embedded links) from the original subject may carry over unknowingly.
- You can check the validity of any links in a subject through the subject's Settings tab via the 'Validate Links in Content' button.
- Always re-name content after copying it into a subject.
- The level of access required is different for some copying methods. Contact Learning Environments if you have a query that relates to selecting an appropriate copying method for your level of access.
- When copying over content from Kaltura, there is a limit to the number of times an embedded copy can be copied over. A workaround to this is to download the video from Kaltura and upload it directly from your computer.
Note: it is the responsibility of the Sub-account admin to consult with Subject Coordinators or relevant teaching staff to reach an agreement before making any changes in the LMS.
Single subject copy
Subject Coordinators may choose to rollover some or all content from one subject delivery to another. This process can be self-managed by Subject Coordinators or they may advise their LMS Faculty Representative to initiate the subject copy process for applicable subjects.
Self-managed copy forward process
Subject Coordinators may choose to copy all or just specified content between subject deliveries.
To do so, the user must have a Subject Coordinator or Instructor role in both the source and the target deliveries of the subject (i.e. the subjects where content is being copied from as well as to).
There are two methods to copy content:
- Course (Subject) Import tool.
Use this tool to copy some or all content into a subject from the Subject Settings area. The source subject is chosen during this process. See how do I copy content from another Canvas course using the Course Import tool?
- Export-Import method.
This process allows you to copy some or all content within a subject from the Subject Settings area, and consists of two steps:
Important: If you are self-managing the subject copy forward process, please remember to advise your LMS Faculty Representative so that they can exclude your subject when bulk copying subjects from past deliveries.
Subject Copy Forward tool
Learning Environments has custom developed the Subject Copy Forward tool to allow Faculty Representatives efficiently manage the rollover of content for future subject deliveries and communities.
Faculty Representatives can schedule a Subject Copy Forward task across one or multiple subjects within their Department/School. It allows for the swift transfer of content from a current subject to a future subject delivery in an unpublished state.
This process is managed by LMS Faculty Representatives. In line with local processes and protocols, LMS Faculty Representatives will initiate contact with Subject Coordinators to confirm the source and target subject deliveries.
What content can be copied by the Subject Copy Forward tool?
- Folders (including Files)
- Discussion Topics
- Modules & Module Items
- Media gallery
*If selected, previous Assignments and Assignment Groups will be copied. This means, in the new subject (target) both copied and newly created Assignment Groups (via the Handbook integration) appear. Subject Coordinators will need to review and tidy up to ensure correct Assignments Groups are displayed.
What content cannot be copied by the Subject Copy Forward tool?
- Staff and student users from previous subjects do not transfer to future deliveries
- Comments or responses to questions (e.g. Discussions) from students and staff
Faculty Representatives will advise Subject Coordinators when the Subject Copy Forward process has been completed and the subjects are ready to be reviewed.
To get ready to launch the subject, we recommend Subject Coordinators use the building and launching your LMS Subject checklist.