What is Poll Everywhere?
Poll Everywhere is an online tool that allows users to create and collect responses to poll questions or activities. In a live session, poll responses can be collected by displaying a unique Poll Everywhere link belonging to the presenter.
Polls and activities can be created on-the-fly or prepared earlier, and the presenter can control which of their polls is active at any one time. To respond to the poll, participants access the presenter's link using their mobile devices or computers. Staff can display responses in real-time, allowing for an interactive session between presenters and participants.
Teaching and learning applications
Poll Everywhere can be used in teaching and learning, for example during a lecture, to assess prior knowledge, obtain preferences, or check on student's understanding of concepts as they are taught.
In any style of live session, polls can be displayed from the Poll Everywhere website or embedded in a PowerPoint, Keynote or Google Slides presentation. Alternatively, a poll can be used to to gather responses outside of a live session by embedding a poll or sharing a URL in an LMS subject, on a webpage or sent in an email.
- Using Poll Everywhere in large lectures: One academic's story - Poll Everywhere was trialled in a large Biosciences subject using a range of implementations in workshops and lectures.
- Tracking student responses in Poll Everywhere - Ask students to log in before responding to your poll so that you can track their responses for use in the Grade Centre
Access and licensing
Poll Everywhere utilises single-sign-on. All University of Melbourne staff and students can access Poll Everywhere using their University username and password at the Poll Everywhere/Unimelb login page. Once you have activated your account as a University of Melbourne user, click the 'Polls' tab to start creating polls.
The University of Melbourne provides staff premium access to Poll Everywhere services. This provide access to a full list of Poll Everywhere features including:
- Unlimited polls and responses per poll
- Ability to change personal username for custom response URL
- All available question types including multiple choice, word cloud, text walls, clickable image and ranking
- Embed live polls in PowerPoint, Google Slides or Keynote presentations
- Grading and live correct answer feedback for applicable question types
- Reporting and grading with a downloadable 'grade book report'
- Moderation and censoring controls for open-ended polls
- Countdown timer and auto lock/unlock times
- Share polls among predefined team/staff members
Support and resources
Poll Everywhere is supported by Learning Environments. Any questions regarding accounts, usage and training can be submitted through the LMS LMS and Learning Technologies support request form.
- Poll Everywhere staff guide
- Poll Everywhere student guide
- PollEv guide: Getting Started presenter guide
- PollEv guide: Create a new poll or activity
- PollEv guide: Managing responses & participants
- PollEv guide: Embed an activity into your LMS subject
- PollEv guide: Reporting
- PollEv guide: Getting Started presenter video
- PollEv guide: How to create polls
- PollEv guide: How to make an interactive PowerPoint
- PollEv guide: Moderation of live polls
- PollEv guide: Reports and data