Checklist: Building and launching your LMS subject
Use this checklist to make sure you have covered off all key areas when building your LMS subject this semester, and that it is ready to publish to students.
This checklist has been updated for Semester 2, 2020.
Use this checklist to:
- Guide you through building your subject in the LMS
- Check you have reviewed and finalised the key areas and settings required for your LMS subject
- Ensure your LMS subject is ready for launch at the beginning of the semester
You can either:
- Use the starter checklist online
- Or print this page
Get started with the LMS
Training and professional development
We recommend completing the following training options to suit your needs and availability.
Access your current Subjects and Communities
Build and update your subject
Assessment and feedback
For best student experience, we strongly recommend providing subject content directly in pages rather than uploaded files.
Check your content and settings
Ally is a tool that assesses the accessibility of your content on the LMS and provides guidance for improving its accessibility rating. Ally also has the ability to provide students with alternative formats of your LMS content. See Making your subject content accessible using Ally for more information.
Preview with Student View
The following should be checked using Student View within your subject. See the Canvas Community guide How do I view a course as a test student using Student View? for more information.
Make the subject available to students
Student enrolment and management
Publish the subject
In order for students to have access to a subject in the LMS, the subject must be published, and within the subject start and end date timeframe. Subjects in standard teaching periods are automatically published ten days before the start date recorded in StudentOne. Staff with the role of Subject Coordinator or Instructor can publish the subject any time.
- Visit Canvas guides for step by step guides
- Visit Canvas FAQ's for answers to common questions
- In Canvas technical support: Click Support in the global menu to access 24/7 Canvas support, guides, and more.
Project Evolve support
- Request support with subject migration by submitting an enquiry to the Project Evolve team
- Updates on the Project can be found at the Project Evolve website.
For guidelines on the development of online components for subjects read the Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) Framework.