Turnitin Similarity Reports in the LMS
When setting up an assignment in the LMS, staff have the option of generating a Turnitin Similarity Report for each student submission.
Turnitin is an integration available in the LMS that provides staff with the ability to generate Similarity Reports. To find out more about this tool, refer to our Turnitin learning technology information.
Marking of assignments in the LMS is done through the Canvas SpeedGrader. Turnitin Feedback Studio provides staff and students with access to the Turnitin Similarity Report.
To create a Turnitin assignment and generate a Similarity Report, select the Plagiarism Review option when setting up an assignment in Canvas.
Create an assignment using Turnitin
- Navigate to your Subject in the LMS and click Assignments in the subject navigation menu.
- Click the Add Assignment button and enter the details as required for the assignment name, instructions or supporting information and applicable settings.
- The settings required for Similarity Reports to be generated are specified below. More information about other settings available in Assignments can be found in the Canvas Community guide: How do I add or edit details in an assignment?
- To require students to upload a document for submission, select Online under Submission Type, and check File Uploads.
Note, the Restrict Upload File Types option can be checked to ensure students can only submit file types accepted by Turnitin, such as PDF and DOCX, for example.
- In the Plagiarism Review dropdown, select Turnitin.
- The Turnitin settings for Plagiarism Review will appear. Review and change these settings as required. Our recommended settings are:
Recommended Plagiarism Review settings
- Store submissions in: Standard paper repository - to ensure these files are recorded and compared to future submissions.
- Compare submissions against: all options applied - all available documentation will be included in the Similarity Report.
- Do not exclude any materials - exclusions can be applied as needed when viewing the report.
- Apply Save as default settings - to ensure these settings are applied in your future assignments.
- Important: Choose the appropriate setting in the dropdown for Show report to students as needed for this assignment. This will vary depending on your subject or Faculty requirements.
- Click Save & Publish to make your assignment visible to students. If you would rather publish your assignment later, click Save.
Access the Similarity Report
Once a student has submitted a file to an assignment with Turnitin enabled, a Similarity Report will be generated according to the settings chosen when the assignment was set up. The file is matched against the information available in the Turnitin repository to produce a Similarity Score.
Similarity Reports are accessible from within the SpeedGrader.
- Navigate to the Assignments area from the subject navigation menu
- Open the relevant assignment (in which Turnitin has been enabled) and then click SpeedGrader from the right-hand Related Items section
- SpeedGrader will load in a new window. The Similarity Score is displayed as a percentage number in a coloured square in the right-hand section. Click on Similarity Score to open the Similarity Report.
- Turnitin Feedback Studio will load in a new window, displaying in the Similarity Report.