PebblePad and ATLAS rollover for a new teaching period
This guide will support you in how to archive your ATLAS workspace for your concluded subject, and prepare PebblePad and ATLAS for a new teaching period.
You will need to organise new PebblePad ATLAS workspaces and assignments for each new teaching/delivery period. This includes:
- Archiving old versions of the subject in ATLAS
- Organising new ATLAS workspaces for the upcoming period, and
- Recreating the LMS and ATLAS assignments.
Archive your ATLAS workspace from the previous teaching period
Once your subject has concluded for the teaching period and all assessments have been submitted and marked, you should archive your ATLAS workspace. Archiving keeps your workspaces tidy and ensures all work is backed up and cannot be removed from the workspace by students, which is important for meeting University assessment policy.
- Make sure you have concluded all assessment activities first.
- Navigate to your ATLAS workspace for the subject, then click on Management
- Click on the Archive button in the top right corner.
Archiving should be done with caution, however a workspace can be unarchived by Learning Environments if/where needed. Submit a Learning Environments support request if you need to unarchive a workspace.
Rollover your subject for PebblePad and ATLAS
Early LMS setup
- Ensure you have a new LMS subject available for your subject and content has been copied across. If you do not have access to a subject you are teaching, contact the Subject Coordinator listed in the Handbook, or your LMS Faculty Representative. Refer to the building and launching your LMS subject guide and checklist for further information.
- Ensure all LMS assignment names, total marks and dates are correct and up to date, and LMS assignments are placed under the correct LMS assignment groups with correct weightings The Handbook-Canvas integration creates Assignment Groups automatically, however you should check the location and weightings are correct.
Note: We recommend recreating all assignments afresh for every new delivery of the subject, including external LMS assignments linked to Pebblepad
- Ensure student enrolments are flowing into the LMS subject.
- Enrol any relevant teaching staff who require LMS access to the subject (these will then flow into ATLAS overnight).
(Note: Staff enrolments can be done at any time using the LMS Staff roles tool).
- You may wish to publish your LMS subject at this point or wait until after ATLAS has been set up.
- In PebblePad, ensure PebblePad resources (e.g. workbooks) have been duplicated for the new teaching period/delivery where relevant, especially if you plan to make any changes to the design, content or layout of workbook/template for the new cohort.
- Copy any existing PebblePad resources (e.g. Workbooks) using I want to... Copy via the Resource store and rename for the new teaching period. Consider using the naming convention: “SUBJECTCODE_Year_Document Title”. Refer to the create PebblePad workbooks or other resources and provide them to students guide for further information on how to copy workbooks/resources.
- Lodge a Learning Environments support request to organise an ATLAS workspace for your subject. The Learning Environments team will set up a new ATLAS workspace, then attempt to build ATLAS assignments for the relevant assessments.
In the support request, note:
- The relevant Canvas LMS subject details (include the subject code, year/semester and LMS link where possible)
- If the previous (old) ATLAS workspace’s settings should be copied/applied to the new workspace
- Whether the subject’s assessments have changed since the previous teaching period. Where relevant, note which assessments have changed.
- If you have been using ATLAS Sets or manually enrolling external assessors previously and require support to set these up again.
(Note: Typically teaching staff will manage Sets themselves).
Once Learning Environments have completed creating and setting up the ATLAS workspace, you will receive an email.
The ATLAS workspace will be currently in Setup mode and will need further review and settings updates.
- Locate your ATLAS workspace – in ATLAS, go to Manager’s Dashboard and ‘Workspaces I am managing’ then click on the Setup tab.
- Review and update ATLAS assignments – Click on Management within the menu then under the Assignments tab. Check the ATLAS assignment names match the LMS assignments. If you need further assignments created, please create the PebblePad ATLAS assignments within the LMS or contact Learning Environments for further support.
- Check submission dates for ATLAS assignments and update where relevant using the Edit button (cog icon)
- Review any other ATLAS workspace settings and enrolments as needed. This may include Manager enrolments, settings for external assessors, etc. If you are unsure regarding any settings, please confirm with Learning Environments.
- Where relevant, add new Resources (i.e. Workbooks and/or Templates) to the workspace, under the Resources tab. Refer to the create PebblePad workbooks guide or other resources and provide them to students guide as needed for further information on how to add Resources to an ATLAS workspace.
- Optional: Where relevant, add Feedback templates or other feedback/grading supports to the relevant ATLAS assignments. (Note: this can be done at any time before assessors start marking)
- Optional: Create Sets for managing groups for marking and feedback purposes (use the Set wizard available under Management > Sets). Note that teaching staff are responsible for managing and maintaining their own ATLAS Sets.
- Activate the ATLAS workspace so it is available to students and teaching staff. Within the ATLAS workspace, go to the Management tab then click the Activate button available on the far right of the top banner.
- Ensure your LMS subject is published. Note: Your LMS subject need to be published in order for students and teaching staff to gain access to ATLAS and any linked PebblePad resources.
- Ensure any feedback templates for rubrics/marking are added to ATLAS for the relevant assignments (or LMS if marking in the LMS and using LMS rubrics) and accessible to those using them for marking. For more information on using and adding Feedback templates, refer to Feedback templates within PebblePad help.
Please submit a Learning Environments support request or update and communicate via an existing PebblePad support request if you require additional support with ATLAS and assignment setup and rollover.