Create an assignment requiring students to upload a recorded video, such as an ice-breaker, oral presentation or performance.
Create a video assignment
To create assignments allowing for submission of videos, simply create a new assignment in your Subject, and choose Online under Submission Type.
In the submission type settings, there are three Online Entry Options that can be used depending on your submission requirements. All three options include the standard comment field that accompanies assignment submissions, and do not count towards the file storage limit for the student or the subject.
- Text Entry allows students to embed recorded videos from their webcam or multiple files with a maximum size of 500 MB per file.
- Media Recordings allows students to immediately record one video from their webcam, or upload one file with a maximum size of 500 MB.
- File Uploads allows students to upload multiple media files with a 5 GB size limit.
Please refer to the following Canvas Community guides for more information:
- How do I create an assignment?
- How do I add or edit details in an assignment?
- How do I assign an assignment to a course group?
Viewing and marking assignments
- How do I grade a text entry submission in SpeedGrader?
- How do I grade a media recording submission in SpeedGrader?
- How do I grade a file upload submission in SpeedGrader?
Can I still use Kaltura to create a video assignment?
Unfortunately, a Known Issue has been identified with Kaltura Video Assignments and Interactive Video Quizzes (IVQs) which affect their reliability syncing grades back to the LMS when used for assessment purposes.
Staff are strongly advised to not use Kaltura Video Assignments or IVQs for summative assessment tasks at this time.
If you are using Kalura for video assignments, IVQs, or have any questions about Kaltura, please submit a support request for further advice.