Staff roles and permissions
Staff with the appropriate roles can add and remove other staff members in their subjects. This guide includes step by step instructions and an overview of the staff roles tool and all role permissions.
Update: Please note that the content of this guide has been updated with the introduction of our custom Staff Roles tool. Staff will no longer use the People area to manage any user enrolments.
Staff holding the role of Subject Coordinator, Instructor and Division Representative have the ability to add and remove staff members in their subjects and communities using the Staff Roles area, found in the subject menu.
Once a staff member has been added, you can give or remove additional access to Sections in your subject (e.g. Tutorials or Lectures), including allowing staff to only view students in their assigned Section.
To manage users in other aspects of your subject or community, see the following guides:
- External Users, who are not seeking academic credit to a subject, are added via the External User tool.
- Manage Sections and student Section enrolments
- Learn more about College and ITAS Tutor user accounts in the LMS
- Manage group membership
- Enrollers can add students to communities.
View the staff members currently in your subject or community
- Once in your subject or community, click on Staff Roles in the subject menu
- This screen will display a table with all staff currently enrolled in your subject or community, including:
- User details, such as name, username and email address
- Current role and section
- Status of enrolment (active or inactive)
- Access, if limited to the enrolled Section only
- In this table, you may edit the staff member's role or section, view more details or deactivate them to remove them from the subject.
Tip: The table can be filtered by role or narrowed down with the Search field.
Add staff members
Staff with a the role of Subject Coordinator, Instructor or Division Representative can add other staff into their subject or community.
- Click the Add Staff button in the top-right of screen.
- A new Add Staff window will display.
- Select the Role required for the user(s) from the dropdown list - see the comparison of roles below.
- Select the Section required for the user(s) from the dropdown list.
- To give the users(s) access to the whole subject, select the Section with the full subject name
- To give them access to just one section, select the appropriate Section and select the Limit access option
- You can choose whether to select staff using the Search field, or paste in usernames if known.
- To search, type in a first name, surname, username or email address.Select the users required with the checkbox in the table.
- If usernames are known, select Add by username, and type (or paste) in the usernames into this field. Multiple usernames must be separated by a comma.
- When ready, click Next.
- A confirmation window will display. Click the Options icon to see User Details to confirm the user is correct (shown as A), or Remove a user if they were added to your selection by mistake.
- Click Confirm to continue. You will be taken back to the Staff Roles screen.
- The staff member is now actively enrolled and added to the staff enrolments table.
Enrol staff in multiple Sections
If you need a staff member to be in more than one Section, you can repeat the steps in Add staff members, selecting a different Section as required. This is a cosmetic label only, and will not affect the user's access to the subject unless the Limit Access option is applied.
Find out more about Sections.
Limit staff member's access to a single Section
This option is useful if you require that a staff member (such as a Tutor or Marker) to only be able to view and grade the students enrolled in the defined Section(s). This may be appropriate for large subjects or those with sensitive information.
Edit role or Section enrolment
- In the Staff Roles user table, click the Options icon in the Action column at the end of the row.
- Select Edit Role/Section.
- The Edit Role/Section window will display. Select the desired role or Section and click Update.
- A confirmation window will display. Click Yes, Update to confirm.
Remove (deactivate) a staff member
If a user has been inadvertently added to your subject, or if they need to be removed for any reason, you may deactivate their enrolment This means they will no longer be able to access your subject and it will not affect their user account in Canvas. Their name will be displayed in the Staff Roles table with an Inactive status badge.
- While in the Staff Roles area of your subject, find the person you want to remove in the user table and click the Options icon in the Actions column at the end of the row with the person's name.
- Select Deactivate User, and then click Deactivate User to confirm.
Reactivate a staff member
Staff that have been deactivated in the subject will display the Inactive badge in the Staff Roles table.
To reactivate their enrolment, click the Options icon in the Actions column and select Reactivate User. You will be asked to confirm the action and a success message will display. This will restore their access in the role and Section they previously held.
Comparison of staff roles
This table compares the different staff roles in Canvas and the permissions available to them.
Note: The role of Observer is not used at the University of Melbourne and should not be selected.
|Role permissions||Subject Coordinator||Instructor||Tutor||Subject Designer|| ITAS Tutor /|
|Add or remove additional staff in teaching roles|
|Add or remove student enrolments|
|Create and edit all content|
|Publish or unpublish the subject|
|Create and manage Sections|
|Possible to limit user's access to one or more Sections|
|Access all assessments and view submissions|
|View and edit marks in the Gradebook|
|View all published content|
This guide was last updated 08 Jun 2021.
Please report any errors or omissions in this guide by submitting an LMS support request.