H5P in Canvas
H5P is an abbreviation for HTML5 Package and allows you to create rich interactive content easily and quickly on a content page. Staff can create a H5P account within the UoM domain and synchronise it to Canvas.
Activate and connect your H5P account in Canvas
To activate your account, you must login to Canvas and create H5P content as an External Tool in a Module. This action will activate and link your H5P account to your Canvas account.
Note: All steps listed below must be completed for H5P to be correctly synchronised in Canvas.
We recommend using your Playpen subject to create and test new content, then copy this content to your current subject when ready.
- Log in to Canvas and navigate to your Playpen subject from the Dashboard.
- Click the Modules link from the subject navigation menu, then click Add Module in the top-right of the Modules page.
- The Add Module window will display. Enter H5P in as the Module name and click Add Module to save.
- The new Module will appear at the bottom of the page. Scroll down to your H5P Module and click the Add New Item icon (displayed as a plus + symbol).
- The Add Item window will display. Select External Tool from the dropdown, and then scroll down to choose H5P.
- The H5P window will display, labelled 'Link Resource from External Tool'. Click the blue Add Content button.
- For this example, we will add a new True/False Question. Scroll down, or type ‘True’ into the Search for Content Types field and click on True/False Question.
- Enter the question details following the below example:
- Title: True or False question
- Question: The sun rises in the East
- Correct Answer: Select True
- Click on Save and Insert.
- The information will be added to the Add Module Item window. Click the Add Item button to save.
- H5P will now be synchronised with Canvas across the University of Melbourne H5P domain.
H5P offers the following guides on setting up content in different areas of Canvas:
- How to add H5P as a Canvas assignment
- How to add H5P as a Canvas module
- How to add H5P on a Canvas page
These tutorials will guide you through creating content in H5P: