PRIVACY COLLECTION NOTICE
Learning Management System (LMS) and integrated educational technologies
Why we collect your personal information
The University uses a central Learning Management System (LMS) and integrated educational technologies to support the delivery of your course of study. This privacy notice applies to educational technologies centrally licensed and managed by the University’s Learning Environment division.
The University collects your personal information using these technologies to:
- enable access and use of online teaching and learning tools;
- support the creation of flexible, interactive, and engaging online learning spaces among students and academic staff;
- administer the delivery of online course content and activities, including teaching, marking, examinations, and assessments; · maintain academic integrity; and
- allow current and accurate recording of grades in StudentOne.
- What we collect and how we use your personal information
- The University collects personal information directly from you at the point of enrolment and throughout your use of the LMS. For example:
- identifying information needed to enable Single Sign-On to the LMS and integrated educational technologies (e.g. name, student email address, student username); and
- information you provide by using the LMS and integrated educational technologies (e.g. audio, video and written material created during online class participation, assessment, examinations and commentary).
Your personal information will be used by authorised staff for the purposes for which it was collected and may also be made available to visiting or honorary professors for course administration, teaching and grading purposes. Some information you provide can be viewed by other students when logged into the LMS to enable group learning activities. If you do not provide the information requested, it may not be possible for you to engage in your course of study, participate in assessments or complete examinations.
The University may share your information with other parties who provide services to us including organisations, agents, partners and contractors that assist us in providing online course delivery. By using the LMS, your personal information may also be collected directly by these parties and shared with the University. For further information regarding the use of these technologies visit https://lms.unimelb.edu.au/learning-technologies.
Accuracy, security and storage The University takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the information we hold is accurate and complete, and uses a combination of technical and organisational security measures to protect personal information transmitted, stored or otherwise processed from accidental or unlawful destruction, misuse, loss, alteration, unauthorised access or disclosure.
The University endeavours to ensure that your personal information is only retained for as long as required for the purpose it was collected, and in accordance with our legislative obligations and the University’s retention and disposal authority. It will not be transferred outside Australia unless to an entity operating under equivalent privacy obligations.
Privacy Laws and your rights
The University of Melbourne is governed by the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic), the Health Records Act 2001 (Vic), and, to the extent that they apply to our activities, the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (together, ‘Privacy Laws’), when collecting and managing
personal information. The University is committed to protecting your privacy and processing your personal information fairly and lawfully in compliance with the Privacy Laws as applicable. We will only use your information if we have a lawful reason to do so, such as when it’s our legal duty or we have your consent and when it is in our legitimate interest to do so, specifically, providing you with the course of study in which you are enrolled, course administration, communicating with you, and enabling teaching, learning and research.
You may request access to, or correction of, information we hold about you, or exercise other individual rights if applicable, by logging into your Canvas LMS account or by contacting the University’s Learning Environment support centre.
For further information about the LMS and related educational technologies please contact the University’s Learning Environment support centre.