The LMS Calendar displays any events added to subjects by teaching staff as well as automatically generated events with due dates for Blackboard assessment tasks. In addition, students and staff are able to add personal events to their own calendar.
You can display the calendar by day, week or month and may also choose to link the LMS calendar into your personal calendar.
Access the calendar
Even when the calendar has not been added to a subject, staff and students may access it from the notifications area.
The notifications area is on the top right of your LMS page, also known as the Global Navigation Menu. Click on your name to open this menu, then click the calendar icon.
Add the calendar to a subject
Staff may also choose to include the calendar within a subject for students to have easy access by creating a Tool Link.
- Ensure Edit Mode is ON.
- Click the Add Menu Items icon on the left corner of the subject menu.
- Click Tool Link.
- Enter a name (e.g. Calendar).
- From Type select Calendar.
- Select Available to Users.
- Click Submit.
Create an event
Start by opening your calendar. The default view is by month, but you can change this by clicking the desired view (day/week) on the top left.
- Click directly on your desired date in the calendar or click on the Create New Event icon at the top-right corner of the content area.
- Add the Title of the event.
- From the Calendar dropdown, choose the calendar this event is to belong to (e.g. Written History of The Artic).
- Note: This option defines who can see the event. For example, events categorised as Personal will only be seen by you, while events created in the calendar of a subject are visible to all subject members. Note that students may only create Personal events.
- Use the date-picker to select desired start and end dates.
- Select All Day or Repeat if desired. Repeated or reoccurring events can be set to daily, weekly or monthly (e.g. repeated Weekly,every: 2 weeks will yield an event that occurs every other week).
- Add an Event Description if required.
Note: Once the event has been saved the ability to edit the event will vary depending on whether the event is personal or whether it belongs to a subject calendar. Personal events will allow for full editing ability, while events belonging to a subject must remain within that subject calendar.
Individual events, including those from a repeating series, can be moved in either of two ways.
- Click on the event in the calendar to open the event to then edit the date/time and click Save; OR
- Drag the event to another date/time as desired. By default the same time on the new day will be preserved. If you try to drag to a new time, the dialog will open to allow you to select a new time.
Note: If you change an event that was a repeating event, the arrow symbol will change to show that it is a customised event in the series.
Customise the display
By default, calendars for all your subjects are displayed on the bottom left. The order for these is: Institution, Personal, then all of your current subjects listed alphabetically.
Staff can see calendars for all subjects and communities they are associated with. Students only see calendars for the available subjects and communities they are enrolled in.
Use the checkbox to deselect any calendar to hide events from that calendar in your display.
You can click the small arrow in the bottom-right corner of a calendar to customise the colour.
iCalendar can be utilised to sync your calendar events with other devices. Click the Get External Calendar Link and copy the URL. You can use this URL from your device to sync calendars.
Note: You can Re-generate a URL and re-sync devices if you feel your calendar has been compromised.
This guide was last updated 02 Feb 2017.
Report any errors or omissions in this guide to email@example.com