Grade Centre - Calculate weighted totals
The Grade Centre allows you to create a weighted grade – a grade that is calculated from a series of assessments, with each being given a percentage value toward the weighted grade.
The example used in this guide is for a subject where there are three assessment tasks: mid-semester exam (20%), oral presentation (30%) and final exam (50%).
By default, all subjects have a weighted total column. If your weighted total column has been used for something else, or has been deleted, you can make another.
- Open the Grade Centre.
- Navigate to the existing weighted column, click the down pointing arrow in the column title and select Edit Column Information.
Create a new Weighted Column:
- Select Create Calculated Column >> Weighted Column.
- Enter a logical Column Name and a short Grade Centre Display Name (optional).
- Primary display should be Percentage.
- Click Columns to Select (Ctrl click may be used to select multiple) and click the arrow to the right to add to Selected Columns.
- Enter the weight percentage for each column selected.
Note: The total should not exceed 100%.
- Columns may be removed from the Selected Columns list using the red cross to the right.
- Choose if the column should be calculated as a running total.
Select Yes if you want only attempted items to contribute to the total.
Select No if you want unattempted items to have a grade of 0 to contribute to the total.
- Choose if you want to include this column in grade centre calculations (to be included in other Total or calculated columns).
- Select your preference for Show this Column to Students Yes / No.
- Click Submit.
The weighted column will now display percentages based on your students’ marks in the selected columns.
Note: This was the simplest example of a weighted column. Weighted columns may also use categories to select the columns to be used. If you need additional assistance, please submit a support request.
This guide was last updated 29 Aug 2018.
Report any errors or omissions in this guide to firstname.lastname@example.org