Submitting media to a LMS discussion using Kaltura
This guide steps through uploading media recorded with Kaltura and submitting it to a Discussion in Canvas (LMS).
There are a number of reasons you may be asked to submit a Kaltura video or audio file to a Canvas Discussion. These can include:
- Informal opportunities to get to know your teaching staff or fellow students, like posting a video introducing yourself
- Visually or orally responding to questions or tasks set by your lecturers or tutors
- Providing a visual demonstration that you can perform a physical task or technique
- Illustrating how you solved a problem using a screencast
- Submitting a more complicated video, presentation, pitch, promo, podcast or audio-visual essay
In every case, it is important to read the instructions and expectations of what should be submitted in a discussion so that your media submissions meet the requirements of the discussion or task at hand.
Once you have carefully read the requirements of the discussion, the next step is to choose your recording method. This guide features instructions on how to upload media recorded in Kaltura. For Universal Capture, see our submitting media to a LMS discussion using Echo360 Universal Capture guide.
- For a quick talking head video, you can use your computer’s web camera and Express Capture.
- For a screencast where you record yourself talking to a PowerPoint presentation displayed on your computer, recording a video in advance with Kaltura Capture and uploading it via Media Upload is suitable; consider attaching a microphone to your computer to capture good quality audio.
- For recording a demonstration or performance, using your mobile phone camera may be preferable.
Replying to a Discussion post with the Rich Content Editor
- Go to the Discussion heading in your subject’s Subject Navigation menu.
- Choose the Discussion you would like to respond to.
- Click in the Write a Reply text box.
- This will open the Rich Content Editor where you will write your response and upload media.
- To upload media with Kaltura, click on the Apps icon to open a drop-down menu.
- Click on Embed Kaltura Media.
- This will open Kaltura. You will then have the choice to record a new video through Express Capture, upload an existing video from your local storage with Media Upload, or upload a video you have previously recorded with Kaltura in your My Media folder.
Upload Kaltura Media to a Discussion using Express Capture
- To record and upload a new video/audio file, click +Add New.
- From the +Add New drop-down menu, select Express Capture. This will allow you to use your webcam and microphone to record and upload a quick video.
- Click the red Record button to record your video.
- If your webcam or audio isn’t working, click the settings wheel in the top right corner and change the Camera and Audio settings.
- When you are finished recording click the square Stop button. You then have the option to Record Again, Download a Copy, or use the recording (via the Use This button in the bottom right corner).
- When you click Use This, it will upload the video to your Kaltura My Media folder. At this stage, you can edit the video's title, provide a description of the video and set up any tags that you want to use. If you would like to change the embed, click on the settings wheel in the top right corner.
- When you are happy with the recording click Save and Embed and then Post Reply. Your Kaltura Express video will be uploaded to your Discussion post reply.
Upload Kaltura Media to a Discussion using Media Upload
- To upload a video/audio file, click +Add New.
- From the +Add New drop-down menu, select Media Upload.
- Click on Choose a file to upload and select a video from your computer or cloud storage location. This option supports most common media files.
- Once you have chosen your video to upload, you can you can edit the video's title, enter a description for the video and set up any tags that you want to use. If you would like to change the embed size click on the settings wheel in the top right corner.
- Once you are ready to upload your video click Save and Embed and then Post Reply. Your uploaded video will be embedded in your Discussion post reply.
Upload Kaltura Media to a Discussion post using an existing video in your Media Library
- Click in the Write a Reply text box
- The Rich Content Editor will open. This is where you can enter your response and upload media.
- To upload media, click on the Apps icon to open a drop-down menu.
- Click on Embed Kaltura Media.
- To upload a video/audio file, click on the My Media tab. Scroll down to the video you would like to embed and click on the </> Embed button.
- Once you are ready to upload your video click Post Reply. Your uploaded video will be embedded in your Discussion post reply.