Submit a video in Canvas using Kaltura
Students can use Kaltura's My Media area to store and upload videos for use in Canvas assignments, discussions and more.
Kaltura is the University's Video Management System (VMS) and integrates with Canvas.
As a student you have your own My Media area in Canvas which will store any videos you have uploaded to Kaltura. It is a personal searchable repository for viewing and managing your private media content. Media content can include video files, audio files or image files. Your media items within My Media may be added to a subject when you take part in a subject Discussion, as a response to an Essay Question in a Canvas Quiz or when submitting to a text entry box Assignment.
Uploading your video submission
Note: Steps 1 to 3 detail submission of a video to a Canvas assignment. Go straight to Step 4 for submitting a video to other areas in Canvas where you are presented with a Text Entry field, such as a Discussion.
- Go to Assignments in your subject navigation menu
- Click on the relevant Assignment to open it
- Click Submit Assignment
- You will be presented with a bare Text Entry field.
Click on the More icon to expand the editor toolbar and then click the Apps icon.
- Select Embed Kaltura Media from the list of apps presented
- If your video already exists in My Media, scroll to the video and click </> Embed and then go to Step 10.
OR - If you need to upload the video, Click the + Add New button and then Media Upload.
- Either Drag and Drop your file into the box or click + Choose a file to upload and navigate to your file.
- Provide a name for the video.
Optionally, include a text description and ad some Tags to aid searching for your video later in your My Media.
Note: If you have any text that accompanies the video assignment, do not input it here.
- Click </> Save and Embed.
You will be returned to the window for the Assignment submission and your video will be displayed in a video player in the text entry box.
- Add any text accompanying your video submission to the text box.
- Click Submit Assignment.
- Once you’ve successfully submitted, you will see the below screen which will give you your submission details.
Tips for a successful Kaltura upload
- Kaltura accepts the following file video formats: .flv, .asf, .qt, .mov, .mpg, .avi, .wmv, .mp4, .3gp, .f4v, and .m4v.
- Kaltura accepts the following audio formats: .flv, .asf, .wmv, .qt, .mov, .mpg, .avi, .mp3, .wav, .aiff, .mpa, and .wma.
- Allow plenty of time for the video upload process to Kaltura before the due date and time (this may be hours for very large video files)
- Try to compress the video as much as you can, unless otherwise specified by assignment guidelines. Larger files will take longer to upload to Kaltura. Your video software should have a compression option. If not, you can always search the internet for tips on compression for your video file format
- Make sure you are in a stable internet environment while you are uploading your video
- Keep a backup copy of your video file so if something happens during your upload, you will still retain a copy