LockDown Browser student guide
LockDown Browser is a web browser for taking quizzes in Canvas. It prevents going to another URL or accessing other applications during a quiz. If a Canvas quiz requires LockDown Browser, the quiz cannot be taken with a standard web browser.
Please note that laptops are the only acceptable device to bring into the exam venue. Tablets, mobile phones and other digital devices may not be used to take your digital exam.
Note on video: we are not using Respondus Monitor, only the LockDown browser. No webcam is used.
LockDown Browser test community
Staff and Students can self-enroll in the LockDown Browser Test Community. This community offers a platform for students to test Lock Down Browser. Once you have enrolled, you will have access to a Canvas Quiz that requires Lock Down Browser for answers. This testing process will prepare you for the exam and ensure that you are ready to use Lock Down Browser confidently during exams.
Downloading and installing LockDown Browser
This link is unique to the University of Melbourne, only download from this URL.
Do not Google for a download link – it will be the wrong University!
LockDown Browser must be installed on each computer being used for a quiz. Quizzes that require LockDown Browser will have “Requires Respondus LockDown Broswer” at the end of their name.
If you navigate to a Canvas Quiz which requires LockDown browser in a normal browser, it will show as:
You must be logged in as Admin on your computer to install the software
Click the yellow “Install Now” button. This will download the .zip file that contains the install file. .exe for Windows or .pkg for Macintosh.
If the .zip file does not unzip automatically, look in your Download folder and double click the file.
The account used for install must have administrator rights on the computer.
Taking a Quiz with Respondus LockDown Browser
The LockDown Browser shortcut is in the Windows Start Menu, in the Respondus folder, if you cannot see it, use the Windows Search at bottom left of your taskbar (magnifying glass icon), type LockDown Browser.
On Macintosh, LockDown Browser is in your Applications folder, you can search for LockDown Browser in Finder at top right of your screen, type LockDown Browser.
- Close all other programs before starting LockDown Browser
- Click on the LockDown Browser icon to start
- LockDown Browser may display a pop-up asking to close other applications before continuing. Click on Close Process for each suggested
- LockDown Browser automatically navigates to Canvas Learning Management System
- You will be prompted to enter your username and password
- After logging into Canvas, navigate to your Subject then Assignments
- Find and click the link for the LockDown Browser Quiz, it is name will end with “Requires Respondus LockDown Browser”
- Click on Take the Quiz button
- Enter the answers, when you are finished the quiz, click Submit quiz
- Log out of Canvas
- Click X at the top of the LockDown Browser to close the browser.