Webinar: Canvas communication and collaboration presentation (via Zoom)
This live webinar (delivered via Zoom) will give participants a brief overview of the communications and collaboration tools in Canvas. At the end of the presentation, participants will have the opportunity to ask questions.
The session is designed to give participants who are unable to attend the in-person workshops the confidence to communicate with students and create a collaborative online learning environment.
Topics to be covered in this webinar are:
- Group discussions
- Group assignments
- Communicating with students
- Managing the calendar
Intended learning outcomes
At the completion of the workshop participants will be able to:
- Describe the use of and differences between Sections and Groups within Canvas
- Recognise how to set-up Group Assignments and Discussions
- Identify how to communicate with students using Canvas Conversations (Inbox) and the Calendar function.
- All Canvas guides for staff
- How do I assign an assignment to a subject (course) group?
- How do I use the Calendar as an instructor?
- How do I use Conversations as an instructor?
- How do I create a discussion as an instructor?
- How do I reply to a discussion as an instructor?
- How do I assign a graded discussion to everyone in a subject (course)?
- How do I allow students to edit and delete their own discussion posts in a subject (course)?
- How can I require students to reply to a subject (course) discussion before they see other replies?
Register for this workshop
We highly recommend that you have attended Canvas: Getting started or the Webinar: Canvas quick start presentation (via Zoom) before registering for this webinar.
To register for an upcoming workshop explore the faculty and centrally run schedules.
Participants must have Zoom installed on their device to be able to participate in the webinar. Please see the University's Zoom support page for more information.
As an optional pre-workshop activity, participants can log in to Canvas at canvas.lms.unimelb.edu.au with their university username and password.
Staff currently have access to a 'Playpen' subject to experiment in, as well as a 'Teaching with Canvas' subject, the space used during Canvas workshops.