Canvas: Getting started
This hands-on workshop introduces the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS) and the basics of using and building content in a subject.
All face-to-face workshops have been suspended until further notice
This workshop aims to provide participants with the skills to build a basic LMS subject presence, including the key elements considered essential under the LMS framework guidelines.
Topics covered in this session include:
- Basic navigation
- Home page
- Syllabus page
- Readings Online link
- Canvas subject template - based on the technology enhanced learning (TEL) framework
- The Canvas migration story - where to next?
Intended learning outcomes
Participants will have the opportunity to:
- Identify and interact with the interface of Canvas including global navigation, dashboard and subject cards
- Create or edit pages, incorporating text, links, images and video
- Create modules and recognise their purpose and function
- Explore the following subject tools: Syllabus, Announcements and Readings Online.
- Canvas Instructor guides index
- How do I use the Dashboard as an Instructor?
- How do I add and modify text in the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?
- How do I add a module?
- How do I add assignment types, pages, and files as module items?
- How do I add prerequisites to a module?
- How do I add requirements to a module?
- How do I add an announcement in a subject?
- How do I use the Syllabus as an instructor?
Register for this workshop
To register for an upcoming workshop explore the faculty and centrally run schedules.
This workshop is available as recorded webinar. Watch now
As an optional pre-workshop activity, participants can log in to Canvas at canvas.lms.unimelb.edu.au with their university username and password.
Staff currently have access to a 'Playpen' subject to experiment in, as well as a 'Teaching with Canvas' subject, the space used during Canvas workshops.