Canvas: For tutors
This 90-minute hands-on workshop is specifically designed for tutors who are teaching into Canvas subjects.
This 90-minute hands-on workshop is specifically designed for tutors who are teaching into Canvas subjects. It will introduce the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS), and familiarise tutors with navigation, communication, and marking skills, so that participants can be effective tutors in their Canvas subject.
Topics covered in this session include:
- Global navigation of Canvas and subjects
- Communicating through the Announcements and Inbox tools
- Acting as a student in a subject
- Using Canvas Speedgrader and Gradebook to mark a submission
- Getting help and support.
Intended learning outcomes
At the completion of the workshop participants will be able to:
- Identify and interact with the interface of Canvas including global navigation, dashboard and subject cards
- Recognise the Gradebook and its functionality
- Confidently use the SpeedGrader tool to mark assignments
- Communicate with Canvas communication tools Announcements and Inbox
- Identify how to get help and support using Canvas 24/7 Support.
- All Canvas guides for staff
- How do I use the Dashboard as an instructor?
- How do I use the To Do list and sidebar in the Dashboard as an instructor?
- How do I use the Global Navigation menu as an instructor?
- How do I view all my Canvas subjects (courses) as an instructor?
- How do I use the Gradebook?
- How do I view assignments or students individually in the Gradebook?
- How do I enter and edit grades in the Gradebook?
- How do I use SpeedGrader?
Register for this workshop
To register for an upcoming workshop explore the faculty and centrally run schedules.
As an optional pre-workshop activity, participants can log in to Canvas at canvas.lms.unimelb.edu.au with their university username and password.
Staff currently have access to a 'Playpen' subject to experiment in, as well as a 'Teaching with Canvas' subject, the space used during Canvas workshops.