Canvas: Communication and collaboration
This workshop will introduce participants to the skills needed to effectively utilise the communications and collaboration tools in Canvas.
The aim of this session is to introduce the fundamentals needed to effectively utilise the communications and collaboration tools in Canvas.
Topics covered in this session include:
- Announcements to Sections
- Conversations (inbox)
- Group Discussions
- Group Assignments.
Intended learning outcomes
Participants will have the opportunity to:
- Use a range of Canvas communication tools to communicate with students
- Manage the Calendar tool
- Describe the differences between 'Sections' and 'Groups' within Canvas
- Set-up group Assignments and Discussions.
- All Canvas guides for staff
- How do I assign an assignment to a subject (course) group?
- How do I use the Calendar as an instructor?
- How do I use Conversations as an instructor?
- How do I create a discussion as an instructor?
- How do I reply to a discussion as an instructor?
- How do I assign a graded discussion to everyone in a subject (course)?
- How do I allow students to edit and delete their own discussion posts in a subject (course)?
- How can I require students to reply to a subject (course) discussion before they see other replies?
Register for this workshop
To register for an upcoming workshop explore the faculty and centrally run schedules.
We highly recommend that you have attended Canvas: Getting started before registering for this workshop.
This workshop is also available as a recorded webinar.
As an optional pre-workshop activity, participants can log in to Canvas at canvas.lms.unimelb.edu.au with their university username and password.
Staff currently have access to a 'Playpen' subject to experiment in, as well as a 'Teaching with Canvas' subject, the space used during Canvas workshops.