Getting started with Lecture Capture
Guide to logging on and general navigation of the Lecture Capture system as well as viewing and downloading recordings.
The Echo360 system uses terms for subjects and recordings which differs from our use at the University of Melbourne. This is a quick comparison to remember while using Lecture Capture.
|Term used in Lecture Capture||Term used in LMS|
|Section or Course||A subject or community|
|Class||A single Lecture Capture recording or uploaded video|
|Classroom||Page with list of recordings or classes for the subject|
Accessing the Lecture Capture system
Staff can access the Lecture Capture system in a number of ways:
- In Canvas using the Lecture Capture link displayed in the subject navigation menu
- Directly through the Lecture Capture system
- Through the Echo360 mobile apps
Accessing Lecture Capture in the LMS
In Canvas, all subjects have a Lecture Capture link in the subject navigation menu which is available to students. Students and staff can access Lecture Capture by clicking on this link, which opens an LMS page containing the Lecture Capture classroom of the corresponding subject.
- Navigate to your LMS subject
- Click on the Lecture Capture link in the subject menu to go to the Lecture Capture page. You will be presented with all of the current Lecture Capture recordings for the selected subject, as well as any scheduled recordings.
If you can't see the Lecture Capture link in your subject navigation menu, or would like to make this link unavailable to students (for subjects that do not require the use of Lecture Capture), you can enable or disable the content in the subject navigation menu. Staff can also choose how to configure this link, or link to Lecture Capture in other ways; see the Embed and link to Lecture Capture in the LMS guide.
Tip: Even if you subject doesn't record lectures, you can use Lecture Capture to upload slides or other pre-recorded media and make them easily available to students. For more information see the Lecture Capture - Managing recordings guide.
Accessing Lecture Capture through the website or app
- Navigate to the University's Lecture Capture website and click the Log in to Lecture Capture button.
- Enter your University email address and click Submit.
- You will be directed to the University SSO login page. Enter your University of Melbourne username and password.
Viewing and downloading recordings
Viewing lecture recordings
- While in the Lecture Capture system, navigate to the subject via the Home page or the Courses menu. Note: When accessing via the LMS you will be taken directly to the Class List.
- Click on the name of a recording (class) from the list provided. The icons shown in the table below may be displayed next to each class.
- Once you have clicked on the name, a video player will appear and playback will commence once the Play button is selected.
Lecture recording playback
Once playback commences, you will be presented with a screen similar to the one shown below:
Below is a brief overview of the Lecture Capture media player and its various functions.
The Lecture Capture system has the option to download lecture recordings as either video (.mp4) or audio (.mp3) files.
Note: Staff have the ability to disable content downloads. If the Class Content Downloads option in your course is disabled, the download content option will be greyed out and will not be accessible to students.
For more information, view the Echo360 guide to downloading content from a class.