Exam Support (Big Blue Button)
Exam Support (powered by Big Blue Button) is an online communication tool accessed from your subject navigation menu in the LMS. Exam Support enables an instant one-on-one text-based interactions between students and teaching staff during an online exam to address exam content related queries.
Joining Exam Support
On the day of the exam, a notification email is sent to staff and students approximately 30 minutes before the commencement of a scheduled exam, inviting you to join Exam Support in your relevant exam subject.
- Navigate to the relevant subject in the LMS.
- Click Exam Support in the subject navigation menu.
- Click Join to enter the ‘in progress’ Exam Support tool. Exam Support opens in a new tab.
- From the pop-up screen, select Listen only or x to close the pop-up screen.
- It is important to keep the Exam Support tab open in your browser. If you leave the session you will lose any messages you’ve written or received. If you enter the tool again, previous messages will be unavailable and you will need to start afresh.
Students cannot use their microphone to speak to teaching staff. Staff members are advised not to use their microphones for support as voice interactions can be be heard by all participants.
Responding to a student
Messages from students appear under Public Chat with a number to the side of their name (indicating the number of messages they have entered in the interaction).
- Click the student’s name in the Messages section to view the private chat.
- Enter a response in Send message to and click the arrow to send.
- You can close the chat by clicking the x icon on the top right. This removes the private chat from the Messages section, until a new message is received from that student.
- If the student has left the Exam Support area, you may be unable to respond. You can click the x icon in the top right to remove the private chat.
- Should the student re-join Exam Support the student will need to re-start a new private chat. Previous private chat information may be lost.
You are unable to save your student interactions. Please take screen shots to save any messages.
Enabling your notifications
- Click the 3 vertical dots icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Select Settings.
- Toggle the Audio Alters for Chat and Popup Alters for Chat to ON.
- Click Save.
If a student sends you a private message an alert will chime in the browser if you are working in a different tab.