People in Canvas - Staff roles and permissions
Subject Coordinators can add and remove other staff members in their subjects. This guide includes step by step instructions and an overview of staff roles and permissions.
As Subject Coordinator, you have the ability to add and remove staff members in your subjects and communities using the People area, found in the subject navigation menu.
Once a staff member has been added, you can give or revoke additional access to other Sections in your subject, e.g. Tutorials or Lectures. Note that Sections are automatically created from the University's class registration system. This means that associated activities for timetabled subjects are automatically fed into Canvas.
Note: External Users, who are not seeking academic credit to a subject, are added via the External User tool.
Add staff members to your subject
Staff with a Subject Coordinator or Enroller role can add other staff into their subject or community.
- Once in your subject or community, click on People in the subject navigation menu
- Click the + People button in the top-right of screen
- A new Add People window will display. In the Add user(s) by field, enter the Username (e.g. lsmith1) for each required staff member. For multiple users, add a comma between the usernames.
- Note: Students cannot be enrolled using this tool.
- Select the Role from the dropdown the staff member(s) requires in your subject (see comparison of roles below)
- This Section option is useful if you wish a tutor (for example) to only be able to mark and view the students from selected sections.
- To give the staff member(s) access to the whole subject, select the Section with the full subject name from the dropdown list.
- To give them access to just one section, select the appropriate section from the dropdown list.
- When ready, click Next.
- Ensure the Add People confirmation screen has the correct name and a green tick to indicate you are correctly adding the staff member to your subject, then click Add Users.
The staff member is now added to your subject. Next time they log into Canvas they will receive a message on their dashboard to Accept the invitation to your subject and, depending on their notification settings, will receive an email as well.
Modify access to Sections
If you need a staff member to be in more than one Section, you can edit which Sections they can access:
- Click on People in the subject navigation menu.
- In the user table, select the Options button at the end of the row with the person's name and click Edit Section.
- The Section Enrolments screen will display. Click browse to look up the existing Sections in your subject. Select the desired section(s) to add access.
- To remove Sections from a user, click the X next to the Section title.
- Once the required Sections have been added or removed, click Update.
Remove a staff member from your subject
- While in the People area of your subject, find the person you want to remove in the user table and click the Options button at the end of the row with the person's name.
- From the dropdown menu click Remove from Subject, and then click OK to confirm.
Add students to a Community
Staff members in a Community holding the role of Enroller or Division Representative are able to add users as Students in that Community using the Add People option (as outlined above).
When adding users in the People area of a Community, Enrollers and Division Representatives will have the option to select Student from the Role dropdown list.
The role of Enroller is only available in Communities. This role can be granted by a Subject Coordinator within the Community or your Faculty's Division Representative.
Students seeking academic credit in an LMS subject cannot be enrolled directly through Canvas. All student enrolments in LMS subjects are automatically fed through StudentOne.
Comparison of staff roles
This table compares the different staff roles in Canvas and the permissions available to them.
Note: The role of Observer is not used at the University of Melbourne and should not be selected.
|Role permissions||Subject Coordinator||Instructor||Tutor||Subject Designer|| ITAS Tutor /|
|Add or remove additional staff in teaching roles|
|Add or remove student enrolments|
|Create and edit all content|
|Publish or unpublish the subject|
|Create and manage Sections|
|Access all assessments and view submissions|
|View and edit marks in the Gradebook|
|Possible to limit user's access to one or more Sections|
|View all published content|
This guide was last updated 16 Apr 2020.
Please report any errors or omissions in this guide by submitting an LMS support request.