Bluepulse is a polling service aimed at allowing teaching staff to quickly and easily assess students' learning needs, understanding, and engagement in real time during lectures and tutorials.
What is Bluepulse?
Bluepulse is a polling tool designed to facilitate feedback, communication and engagement for staff and students in teaching and learning. It allows users to check in, give feedback, or share information with everyone at the right moment for faster outcomes. Students can be polled in a variety of formats, with the flexibility of having anonymous responses if required.
Some of the features of Bluepulse include:
- Mobile first - Bluepulse has an easy to use mobile application (available for iOS and Android), that students can use to answer polls, questions and give instant feedback.
- LMS Integration - Bluepulse can be linked through the LMS, which allows quick and easy access.
- Two-way communication - Bluepulse allows two way communication between staff and students, making it a great tool for discussion.
- Confidentiality - Bluepulse's confidential polling features allow staff to obtain constructive feedback.
Teaching and learning applications
Bluepulse offers a number of formats for polling students, including multiple choice questions, likert scales, open-ended questions, and 'rate and comment' questions.
Staff can 'push' polls to students at any time, including during lectures or tutorials, allowing for instant feedback.
Responses from and conversations with students can also be de-identified if required, allowing students to respond confidentially. This can be particularly useful for opening a channel of communication with those students who are concerned about asking a question or admitting their confusion publicly.
Access and licensing
The Bluepulse pilot is now being expanded and is offered to all staff at the University include in any LMS subject or community. Expressions of interest for this pilot can be submitted using this form. Bluepulse will be embedded in your LMS subject and accessed from your subject. Atlernately, you may also wish to access Bluepulse via the app (available for iOS and Android).
To access Bluepulse through the app, you will need to:
- On you mobile device, download the app from either App Store (iOS) or Google Play
- Log into the LMS via a browser and click on the Bluepulse icon in your subject
- Click Go to Bluepulse
- Click the Cog icon in the top right hand corner
- Click Profile Settings
- In the Paring Devices box click Show my code
- Either use the Copy to Clipboard button to enter the code manually into the Bluepulse app on your mobile device or scan the QR code from the app on your mobile device to log into the app.
After completing these steps, you will be able to access Bluepulse from the mobile app. If Bluepulse is added to further LMS subjects you are involved with, they app will automatically reflect this and you will not have to complete the steps again.